Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Troops or No Troops?

Paul Rieckhoff has some interesting observations in today's Huffington Post. Last night's address by President Bush has left him puzzled about several points. I'm particularly interested in this quote of the President:
"If our commanders on the ground say we need more troops, I will send them. But our commanders tell me they have the number of troops they need to do their job."
And how it squares with this quote from Major John Wilwerding, cited in a month-old Knight Ridder article entitled "U.S. Army officers cite lack of troops in key region":
"Because there weren't enough troops on the ground to do what you needed to do, the (insurgency) was able to get a toehold."
As I watch CSPAN right now, as I write this, Senator McCain is pointing out to members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff that commanders in the field NEVER ask for more help, because that's the nature of the commanders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home